6 days: Monday-Saturday, July 26-31, 2021
Free weeklong virtual program open to all teens.
No experience necessary. Designed and powered by Miami Dade College’s Miami Book Fair team of writing and book experts.
Speak Up Creative Writing Summer Camp will immerse creative teens (ages 13+) in brainstorming activities, craft exercises, and engaging workshops with established teaching poets and fiction writers.
This fully online program includes:
- Masterclasses and live Q&A sessions with critically acclaimed authors
- Live interactive workshops on creative writing and performance with established teaching artists
- One-on-one mentorship sessions to provide in-depth feedback
- Virtual activities
Applications Open: May 10 – June 13
Miami Book Fair’s Speak Up creative writing and performance workshops help teens hone creative writing and public speaking to build confidence, make connections, and actualize their creative dreams. Miami Book Fair can provide certificates of completion that high school students can include in portfolios and college applications.
Students can use pen and pencil, but they will be sharing virtually, so a computer or tablet with stable WiFi is recommended.
90 minutes online for live workshops every day, and at least an hour offline. A 30-minute one-on-one mentorship meeting will also be scheduled during the week for each student.
July 26 – 31 Sample schedule (subject to change)
- Daily masterclass video—30 minutes to be viewed before workshop
- Live author Q&A session—1:00-1:30 p.m. Eastern Time
- Live workshop—1:30-2:30 p.m. Eastern Time
- Daily meditation exercise—5 minutes to be viewed any time
- One (1) 30-minute mentorship with an experienced teaching artist to be scheduled during the week between 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time
*As part of the virtual activities, there may be additional virtual engagement throughout the week.
How much is the Virtual Summer Camp?
It’s completely free, but students must apply.
Do I have to apply for the Virtual Summer Camp?
Yes, applications will open on May 10 – June 13. Students will be notified by June 28.
Students must confirm participation in Summer Camp by July 1.
Is prior experience needed for the Virtual Summer Camp?
No, prior experience is not needed for this camp.
Do I need access to the internet?
Yes, this is a virtual program.