Sunday, November 18 @ noon
THREE WAYS TO SHOW OFF YOUR GEEKY SIDE AT THE PORCH
1. SUBMIT YOUR FANFIC FOR A CHANCE TO READ IT LIVE
Deadline: November 1st
Writers can choose to read in costume!
2. ENTER THE COSPLAY COSTUME CONTEST
Bring your favorite character to life and win some awesome prizes
3 Categories: Comics, Movies, and Games
Open to all ages
3. ENJOY craft brews from Biscayne Brewery, giant games, and all kinds of offbeat literary fun and music at the Porch.
Visit miamibookfair.com/GeekMiami for contest and submission rules, registration deadline, and information about the grand prize
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: FANFIC STORIES
WHO SHOULD SUBMIT:
This call for submissions is open to Florida writers planning to attend the Miami Book Fair
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
• Submit an original piece of fan fiction in Universe.
• Maximum word count: 910 (not including title) SUBMISSIONS THAT EXCEED THE WORD COUNT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
• No defamation of nonfictional characters
• Let’s keep this a nice and light PG13 rating. Nothing horrendously gratuitous or graphic in terms of violence, please. And no erotica.
• Submissions are only accepted by e-mail to [email@example.com] and should be sent as .doc attachments. Please use the title of your story as the subject of the email. It saves us time.
• Review is blind. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME IN THE WORD DOCUMENT! Works with identifying information will be returned unread.
• If your fanfic is selected, you will be invited to read (in costume, if you so desire) at the Porch on November 18 during the Miami Book Fair.
Cosplay Costume Contest Rules and Regulations
ENTRY – All entrants must have a Miami Book Fair ticket. Miami Book Fair staff are ineligible to compete in the costume contest.
DAY-OF REGISTRATION – Registration for the costume contest is done at the Porch, on Sunday, November 18, until 11:30 am. Find the Registration sign and table. 20 entrants will be accepted. Spots will be awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis.
JUDGING – Judging will take place on Sunday at 12 PM. Contestants are required to report to the contest table at this time. Late contestants will be disqualified! Judges are allowed to see (but not touch!) your costume from all angles. All decisions of the costume contest judges are final.
PERFORMANCE – This is exclusively a costume contest. No presentations. No skits.
CATEGORIES – Entries will be separated into three categories: Comics, Movies, and Games.
COSTUMES – All costumes must fall within one of the three categories. If your costume reflects a more obscure character, be willing to tell the judges about your source material. Multiple individuals wearing a single, large costume will be entered as an individual. Groups will register for the contest under a single name.
INELIGIBLE COSTUMES –
- Costumes that have already won awards may not be entered in the costume contest. Purchased, professionally made, or rented costumes are prohibited.
- Any costume that “makes a mess” will not be allowed at the Porch.
- NO WEAPONS. Costumes and props must be worn and carried with no risk of injury to people or property.
- No excessively bloody or gory, overly sexual, or otherwise inappropriate costumes. No Nudity!
PHOTOGRAPHY – Pictures of all participants will be taken during judging, to be used for record and judging purposes. By entering the costume contest, you are agreeing to allow your image to be used in future advertising efforts.
PRIZES – TBA
CHANGES TO THE RULES –Any changes to the rules will be noted in bold red print on this page. A complete set of current rules will be posted at the costume contest check-in tables.