The Miami Book Fair at Miami Dade College is pleased to present the Emerging Writer Fellowship program. The program supports new literary voices that demonstrate exceptional talent and promise by providing writers working on a first book with time, space, and an intellectually and culturally rich artistic community.
The goal of the program is to actively support writers working to complete a book-length project within a year, and to help launch the literary careers of three fellows per year. The Emerging Writer Fellowships are designed to provide 12 months of uninterrupted time and studio space to write; mentorship with feedback from a nationally established author in their respective genre; professional experience such as arts administration, teaching creative writing, and other opportunities; $41,000 stipend, and strong literary community support in Miami, Florida.
Each Fellowship Includes:
- $41,000 honorarium, to be divided as follows:
- $5,000 initial lump sum to be paid to fellow one month before fellowship dates begin.
- $36,000 = 12-monthly stipend of $3,000 to cover all living expenses (i.e. utilities, incidentals, transportation, groceries, etc.)
- Mentorship with an established writer in your genre. Mentors arepart of the selection committee, and meet with fellow a minimum of 6 times (approximately every two months) during the 12-month fellowship. Fellows are expected to share progress and receive feedback on their manuscript-in-progress throughout the year.
- Professional experience. Fellows have the option to gain valuable experience in the field and build their professional resume during the 12-month fellowship:
- Creative Writing Workshops: Miami Book Fair offers community creative writing workshops in all genres throughout the year. Fellows have the opportunity to create and teach one workshop during the 12-month fellowship.
- School Visits: Give presentations at local elementary, middle, or high schools to inspire and empower students.
- Fellows may visit Miami Dade County Public School Title 1 schools and/or Miami Dade College classes to give presentations and/or readings.
- Additional benefits:
- Fellows may attend one community creative writing workshop per semester for free.
- Fellows may attend one Miami Writers Institute workshop in the genre of their manuscript-in-progress. This includes one 15-minute manuscript consultation with that year’s MWI literary agent/editor.
- Fellows are invited to attend any and all year-round Miami Book Fair events.
- Studio space to work during your residency.
Need More Information?
Please contact Ismery at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305.237.3258.
The Miami Book Fair Emerging Writer Fellowships are supported by The Jorge M. Peréz Family Foundation at The Miami Foundation.