2014 Fairgoer's Guide
Welcome to the 31st Miami Book Fair International!
Great communities gather around good books.
That’s why Miami Book Fair International is the largest literary event in the country and why we have such generous support from Miami’s ever-growing community of readers, sponsors and friends.
We’re particularly pleased to announce a significant new partnership between John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and the Center for Literature and Theatre at Miami Dade College to make Miami a year-round, international destination for writers and readers.
At this year’s Fair, you will experience Knight Foundation’s extraordinary commitment in programs and partnerships throughout the week:
- daily live-streaming and national event coverage by PBS
- a major new section of the Fair dedicated to local literary and other artistic talent at “The Swamp”
- an international children’s theatre festival, Play Time!, produced by Teatro Prometeo
- a roundtable on the Amazon Effect and profound changes in publishing and literary culture live-streamed throughout the country
- a new partnership with the National Book Foundation making Miami the only gathering outside New York for the 2014 National Book Awards Winners and Finalists.
- a new partnership with the Poetry Foundation, helping to make this year’s Fair one of the country’s largest and most prominent gathering of poets.
- an expanded array of independent publishers and artist-made books during Street Fair weekend.
The energy and funding commitment of Knight Foundation continues after the Fair, when The Center will embark on a research and strategic planning process to truly gauge what our community wants and needs from a literary arts organization. A study that will suggest ways we can best serve a nationwide audience, and how, using live-streaming and other technologies, The Center and the Fair can transcend their physical location.
The Fair is also proud to announce new partnerships with:
- the Ford Foundation, supporting “The Fire This Time,” an extraordinary remembrance tribute to James Baldwin on the 90th anniversary of his birth
- the Rockefeller Foundation, supporting “Critics in the Cloud,” the first-ever convening of the leading online critics of books and culture in the U.S.
With this new support, combined with the generosity of foundations, corporate, and individuals — including The Miami Foundation, American Airlines, and others — Miami will continue to be a book-lover's dream.
Come share the dream. Support the Fair!
Sunday, Nov. 16 - Sunday, Nov. 23
This year, more than 600 authors from around the globe come to Miami to take part in the fair's international Festival of Authors. Writers come from all over the United States, and in previous years, the Fair has welcomed authors from countries like Argentina, Bosnia, Brazil, Canada, China, Cuba, Dominican Republic, England, France, Finland, Guatemala, Haiti, Hong Kong, Israel, Ireland, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Philippines, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Trinidad, and other nations.
Monday, Nov. 17 - Sunday, Nov. 23
Visit Street Fair’s hottest section, Destination: Comics, organized in partnership with Diamond Comic Distributors, and join publishers and creators who will introduce you to humanity’s oldest form of storytelling — sequential art. Noir? Adventures for all ages? Literary fiction? Biographies? Chilling horror? Cosmic epics? Tender coming-of-age tales? We have those, and more!
Saturday, Nov. 22 - Sunday, Nov. 23
Experience a gastro-literary feast as cookbook authors discuss their culinary philosophies and demonstrate their recipes in the Miami Culinary Institute’s state-of-the art Wine Theatre. Taste the results!