International Symposium on Chinese Language, Culture and Communication Friday, Nov. 18, 9:00 a.m., Room 7128 (Building 7, 1st Floor)
Hosted by Confucius Institute at Miami Dade College
Co-hosts: Chinese Academy for Art Industries at Shanghai University and the Office of International Education at Miami Dade College
9:00 – 10:00 am Registration
10:00 – 12:00 pm General Session (Building 7, Auditorium Room 7128)
10:00 – 10:15 am Welcome Remarks
- Dr. Rolando Montoya, Provost, Miami Dade College
- Ms. Alina Interian, Executive Director of The Center of Literature and Theatre @ MDC / Miami Book Fair International
- Dr. Xuejun (Jim) Yu, Director of Confucius Institute at Miami Dade College
10:15 – 12:00 pm Keynote Speakers
- Dr. Hong Shao, Vice Chairman of Wangxuan Foundation (Beijing) and Professor of History at Nankai University: " China’s Popular Historical Studies in the Information Age".
- Dr. Xinxun Wu, Executive Director of Chinese Academy for Art Industries and Professor of Media Studies at Shanghai University: "Integration of Traditional and New Media in China".
- Dr. Guoming Yu, Vice Dean of School of Journalism at Renmin University of China (Beijing): " How to Deduce "Cultural Discount" in Cross-cultural Communications?"
Prof. Bing Jiang, Secretary General of Chinese Novels Society and Vice Dean of School of Humanities and Communication at Guangdong University of Business Studies: "
- Generation 80s and 90s: Literature and Culture of the Chinese Youth".
12:15 – 1:30 pm Lunch and Break
1:30 – 3:00 pm Breakout Sessions
Track A (Room 7106):
Chinese Media and Communication (moderator: Dr. Xinxun Wu of Shanghai University)
- Prof. Min Zhang, Vice Dean of School of Film and Television at Shanghai University: " China’s Book Fair under Perspective of Internationalization".
Prof. Canchang Cha, Chair of Advertising Dept. at Shanghai University: "
- Public Relations in Contemporary Cross-cultural Communications".
Mr. Kun Shi, Director of Confucius Institute at University of South Florida:
- "Knowing the Other Side: Effective Ways of Communication".
Dr. Xiaokun Wu, Assistant Director of Research Center for TV, Film and Media Industries at Shanghai University: "
- An Analysis of Terminal Competitions for the E-Book Market".
Mr. Shilong Hu & Rui Di from School of Television & Film at Shanghai University: "
- The Digital Transition of Print Media in China under Media Convergence".
Track B (Room 7128) : Understanding China through Language, Culture and Art (moderator: Dr. Wenghui Zhang of Xuzhou Normal University and Confucius Institute at Miami Dade College)
- Ms. Jing Yi, Principal of Huaxia School of Traditional Culture (China): " Chinese Culture in Global Communication".
- Prof. Li Lei, Co-director of Confucius Institute at University of Utah: " The Spread of the Chinese Language in the World".
- Ms. Zhongci Xie, Huaxia School of Traditional Culture (China): " The Beauty of Chinese Characters".
- Prof. Dongfeng Ma, Dean of School of Music at Xuzhou Normal University: " Confucius and Music".
3:00 – 3:15 pm Coffee Break
3:15 – 4:00 pm Closing Session
- Reflection of Track A by the session moderator Dr. Xinxun Wu
- Reflection of Track B by the session moderator Dr. Wenghui Zhang
- Q & A / audience interaction
- Symposium reflection/concluding remarks by Dr. Xunjun (Jim) Yu
4:00 – 5:00 pm
Visit to Miami Book Fair and the China Pavilion
5: 00 – 6:30 pm Dinner
6:30 – 8:00 pm
Attend Panel Discussion:
" with Chinese writers Yan Lianke, Zhu Wen, Jiang Bing, Yi Jing; session moderated by Da Chen (Room 7128)
"The Last Word: The Role of Literature and the Arts in Contemporary Chinese Culture
8:00 pm Program ends Schedule
Friday, Nov. 18, 9:00 a.m.
Free, registration required
Miami Book Fair International * Miami Dade College
300 NE Second Ave., Miami, FL 33132
Room 7128 (Building 7, 1st Floor)